Do you want to eat healthily but also feel starved for time and that it just takes too long to prepare (and also chew) vegetables like kale?
Here are my top tips for preparing some healthy meals which take less than a few minutes preparation and can be cooked in a batch which you can throw together at the last minute.
If you have an air fryer (my new favourite kitchen toy!) this takes seconds. Otherwise it’s a baking job or a dehydrator, equally effective.
- Firstly wash thoroughly and chop the kale roughly. Better still buy a bag of ready chopped kale (I like Duchy organic kale) and still give it a good swirl even though it says it’s ready washed. Dry with a clean tea towel.
- Throw it into the airfryer or a mixing bowl. I recommend the small NINJA air fryer. We use it for so much now because it’s clean to use, easy and fast.
- Add a tablespoon of avocado oil (or an oil that can be cooked at high temperatures, NOT Olive Oil which oxidises on high heat and can produce toxic by-products) and give it a good mix.
- Add sea salt (I like Barbacoa sea salt which has other spices in), chilli flakes if you like them and some crushed up cashew nuts if you like these too.
- 190-200 degrees for 12 mins in the air fryer or oven. The timer turns off automatically in the airfryer so you can be sure never to burn your food. At any point you can just pull out the pot to give it a stir half way or have a peek.
- That’s it! Allow it to cool, put it in an air tight container and throw it into cooked quinoa or on top of a noodle dish. It’s guaranteed rich flavour and doesn’t have that awful chewiness that you have to gnaw through in steamed kale. I’ve thrown in some pomegranates here for a warm quinoa salad topped with crispy kale.